KNBC logo

   Kanata-Nepean Bicycle Club - Safety & Education

Useful Links For Tour Leaders (And Club Members, Too)

Report Bad Roads

To report poor road surface conditions to the City of Ottawa, e-mail your councillor.

Below the map is a list of all current City of Ottawa Councilors with their contact information. Also, copy Robin Bennet at (Project Manager, Cycling Program, Transportation Planning, Planning and Growth Management Branch, Infrastructure Services and Community Sustainability, City of Ottawa) and

City of Ottawa ward map with Councillors

Bob Monette
Ward 1 Orléans
Ph: (613) 580-2471
Fax: (613) 580-2511

Jody Mitic
Ward 2 Innes
Ph: (613) 580-2472
Fax: (613) 580-2512

Jan Harder
Ward 3 Barrhaven
Ph: (613) 580-2473
Fax: (613) 580-2513

Marianne Wilkinson
Ward 4 Kanata North
Ph: (613) 580-2474
Fax: (613) 580-2514

Eli El-Chantiry
Ward 5 West Carleton-March
Ph: (613) 580-2475
Fax: (613) 580-2515

Shad Qadri
Ward 6 Stittsville
Ph: (613) 580-2476
Fax: (613) 580-2516

Mark Taylor
Ward 7 Bay
Ph: (613) 580-2477
Fax: (613) 580-2517

Rick Chiarelli
Ward 8 College
Ph: (613) 580-2478
Fax: (613) 580-2518

Keith Egli
Ward 9 Knoxdale-Merivale
Ph: (613) 580-2479
Fax: (613) 580-2519

Diane Deans
Ward 10 Gloucester-Southgate
Ph: (613) 580-2480
Fax: (613) 580-2520

Tim Tierney
Ward 11 Beacon Hill-Cyrville
Ph: (613) 580-2481
Fax: (613) 580-2521

Mathieu Fleury
Ward 12 Rideau-Vanier
Ph: (613) 580-2482
Fax: (613) 580-2522

Tobi Nussbaum
Ward 13 Rideau-Rockcliffe
Ph: (613) 580-2483
Fax: (613) 580-2523

Catherine McKenney
Ward 14 Somerset
Ph: (613) 580-2484
Fax: (613) 580-2524

Jeff Leiper
Ward 15 Kitchissippi
Ph: (613) 580-2485
Fax: (613) 580-2525

Riley Brockington
Ward 16 River
Ph: (613) 580-2486
Fax: (613) 580-2526

David Chernushenko
Ward 17 Capital
Ph: (613) 580-2487

Jean Cloutier
Ward 18 Alta Vista
Ph: (613) 580-2488
Fax: (613) 580-2528

Stephen Blais
Ward 19 Cumberland
Ph: (613) 580-2489
Fax: (613) 580-2697

George Darouze
Ward 20 Osgoode
Ph: (613) 580-2490
Fax: (613) 580-2530

Scott Moffatt
Ward 21 Rideau-Goulbourn
Ph: (613) 580-2491
Fax: (613) 580-2531

Michael Qaqish
Ward 22 Gloucester-South Nepean
Ph: (613) 580-2751
Fax: (613) 580-2761

Allan Hubley
Ward 23 Kanata South
Ph: (613) 580-2752
Fax: (613) 580-2762

Accident Protocol - What to do and not do, at the scene of an accident.

Ontario roads can be a hazardous place for bicyclists - with or without vehicles.

When you witness an accident involving a cyclist:

  • Ensure the injured cyclist is safe;
  • Barricade the area (with your bike if necessary);
  • If there is a possibility of a neck or spinal injury, DO NOT MOVE THEM and call 911;
  • If conscious, and there is no risk of a neck or spinal injury - carefully remove their helmet, and do a visual helmet check;
  • Look for evidence that the helmet has hit the ground (scratches or gravel impregnations) on the outside, and cracks in the foam on the inside.
  • If you think there is a chance of a concussion or other injury; DO NOT let the injured party make decisions for themselves, call 911. It is better to be safe than sorry;
  • They may be in shock and despite what they may say and do - they are simply not capable of making neither accurate assessments nor decisions with regard to their own health. The standard - "I am ok" should NOT be listened to;
  • It is incumbent on the Group Leader and/or people around them, to step in, take charge and call 911 if they deem it to be necessary; and
  • If an ambulance is called (and there was a hit to the head), ensure the helmet goes to the hospital with the injured party, to alert emergency room staff of their possible/probable head trauma.
  • It is usually a good idea to go to the hospital after an accident as a precaution, especially if you hit your head. Regardless, it is important to follow up with your family doctor or a walk-in clinic afterwards.

  • If a vehicle is involved:

    Obtain (i.e. take a picture of):
  • the driver's name;
  • the name of their insurance company;
  • their registration; and
  • their license plate number.

  • Report the accident to the police:

  • Everyone involved in a motor vehicle accident that causes more than $1,000 in damage has an obligation to report it to the police;
  • Police, will usually come to the scene of the accident, interview witnesses, and may issue a ticket to the person who caused the accident; and
  • The police investigation will hopefully preserve information about how the accident happened.

  • Accident caused by a road hazard:

    If the accident was a result of a road hazard, or unsafe road surface conditions, e-mail the relevant city councillor with a clear description of how the road hazard or unsafe road surface conditions contributed to the accident. Also, notify Robin Bennet at (Project Manager, Cycling Program, Transportation Planning, Planning and Growth Management Branch, Infrastructure Services and Community Sustainability, City of Ottawa) and

    Note: CAA offers Emergency Roadside Assistance to cyclists year round as part of their CAA membership.

    CAN-BIKE Level 4 Course (formerly CAN-BIKE-2) for 2017

    For new and experienced cyclists alike.

    Do you want more confidence and increased awareness on the road? Do you know that you are a vehicle under the Highway Traffic Act? This advanced course is designed for cyclists both new and experienced to increase their abilities and their knowledge of how to ride effectively through all forms of infrastructure. Gain both confidence and competence on both urban and rural roadways. Learn the rules, but more importantly how to apply them defensively, to be safer in all situations. Be the example to emulate.

    Dates: Here is this Season's Training Schedule:
    • 29, 31 May & 01 Jun (full)
    • 17, 19 and 20 July
    • 21, 23 and 24 August

    Course Duration: three evenings; 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. inclusive.
    Course Location: NEW THIS YEAR: Causeway Work Centre; 22 O'Meara Street Ottawa ON, K1Y 4N6
    Cost: Only $55, and this is fully refundable on completion of leading at least one KNBC ride.

    To Register: Potential participants are to e-mail Monna-Leigh McElveny to register (or ask questions) at

    KNBC Safety Handbook

    Monna-Leigh McElveny, Safety & Education Director

    Click here for a .pdf version of the KNBC Safety Handbook which contains all the information below.